The Do’s and Don’ts after iLASIK surgery
Did you recently have LASIK eye surgery and can’t remember all the do’s and don’ts after surgery? Don’t fret! Below is a list of commonly asked questions after the procedure.
Immediately after surgery you should notice improvement in your vision, but it is normal to have blurry vision right after the surgery. Crisp acuity typically comes within a day or two.
It is normal for your eyes to be dry for up to six months after the surgery. Preservative-free artificial tears should be used frequently after the surgery, especially the first week. Use the preservative-free artificial tears 4 to 6 times a day (or more) for the first week. Your doctor may prescribe Restasis to decrease dryness and improve tear function and visual outcome. In addition to artificial tears, patients are to use antibiotic and steroid drops as prescribed. These instructions may change with follow-up visits.
You will be using two different prescription eye drops starting when you get home from surgery. The first will be an antibiotic drop to prevent infections and the second is a mild steroid drop to prevent inflammation after surgery. It is very important that you use them as instructed by the doctor. The antibiotic drops will be used 4 times on the day of surgery and the steroidal drops every hour while awake for the remainder of the day.
You will also be given sunglasses which need to be worn for the day of the surgery. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends that people use sunglasses that are tested to block 100% of ultraviolet light, ground and polished, polarized, dark, and wrap around the eye for total protection. Eye shields will also be given that need to be worn for at least 5 nights following the surgery. These shields are to ensure that you don’t rub or hit your eyes in the middle of the night. It is also highly recommended that all patients follow the post-op schedule regimen after iLASIK surgery. The post-op surgery appointments are recommended at 1-day, 1-week, 1-month, 6-months & one year.
Don’ts After the iLASIK Procedure
There are a number of post-operative restrictions which you should be aware of, in case arrangements/plans need to be changed.
- Swimming: No swimming or hot tub use for two weeks. Lakes should be restricted for one month after surgery.
- Exercise: No strenuous exercise or lifting weights for one week after surgery. This is to eliminate sweat from getting in your eyes and excess pressure on your eyes.
- Eye Make-up: No eye make-up should be used until one week after the surgery.
- Water/Showering: Avoid having water get in your eyes for the first week after surgery. Showering is acceptable as long as water does not stream from your hair into your eyes. Gently hold a washcloth over your eyes to prevent water from getting in them. You may need to dab around your eyes to remove any debris from your lashes.
- Driving: You will need a driver the day of surgery. On your one day post-op you may drive yourself.
- Working in a Dusty Environment: Always wear protective eyewear if you are in a situation where you may get something in your eyes. If you do get something in your eyes during the first post-operative week, try to flush the eyes with preservative-free tears. Also, use UV protective sunglasses for your outdoor activities.
- Working Day after Surgery: You may work the day after surgery if the doctor says that your vision is okay.
Before you leave the day of surgery you will be given instructions and a packet of information to follow post-surgery. If you do have any questions please call our office at 402-493-2020 and one of our iLASIK consultants will be able to assist you.