1. LASIK surgery was FDA approved in the nineties.
2. LASIK has since become one of the most popular elective surgical procedures.
3. LASIK stands for Laser Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis.
The acronym is how most people refer to it.
4. LASIK is a life-changing surgical procedure, but it is not for everyone.
5. There are strict candidate requirements in place, which include the patient:
- Being over the age of 18 years of age
- Not being pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Hormonal changes can lead to temporary changes to your vision.
- Having a stable prescription with no changes to their vision for at least a year before LASIK.
- Be in generally good health
6. Since LASIK surgery was first introduced, millions of patients have undergone it.
In fact, LASIK has a 96% success rate with patients who have had it!
7. LASIK is safe, effective, and reliable, with few risks or complications to worry about.
8. LASIK may seem expensive but it’s really not.
After a few years, LASIK starts paying for itself. Wearing glasses the rest of your life is more expensive than the one time LASIK fee.
9. LASIK surgery is painless thanks to anesthetic eye drops administered before the procedure.
It’s short too, and usually takes about 15 minutes per eye.
10. LASIK is a permanent procedure, meaning that you can say goodbye to glasses and contacts for good.
This doesn’t mean that you won’t need reading glasses eventually.
11. LASIK has a fast recovery time, and you see results almost instantly.
12. Most LASIK patients end up with 20/20 vision, if not better, after undergoing LASIK.
13. LASIK can save you money!
Think about not paying for contact lenses, glasses, or solution anymore.
14. Most patients are back at work 24-48 hours after LASIK.
15. While recovering, your eyes may be a little more sensitive but you won’t be in any pain.
16. LASIK is a permanent method of vision correction.
Getting LASIK only helps correct refractive errors. LASIK cannot fix other vision impairments if they happen after getting LASIK.
17. No responsible LASIK surgeon will promise you 20/20 or better vision.
There is no guarantee that you will have 20/20 or better vision, but there’s a high likelihood that you will have at least 20/20 vision.
18. Because LASIK is an elective procedure, most insurance companies will not cover it.
If cost is an issue, there are several different ways you can pay for your procedure.
19. You can finance the cost of LASIK in a few ways.
Most people choose to do this through the practice performing the procedure. There’s no reason that cost should stand in your way if you’re a LASIK candidate.
20. LASIK is life-changing.
If you’re considering LASIK, you need to have a LASIK consultation. Schedule one at Omaha Eye & Laser Institute in Omaha, NE today! Aren’t you ready to find out if clear vision could be in your future?